Clip-in extensions are as amazing as they are easy to work with. They offer versatility without the commitment of other types of extensions such as sew-in tracks or bonded hair extensions, because you simply clip them in when you want a change for the day or night.
Tips on caring for your clip-in extensions
Here are a few tips to help you keep your clip-ins in optimal shape for better, easier styling and to increase the longevity of their life.
- Have them trimmed. The first step is to go to a hairdresser who is experienced with hair extensions and ask for a trim to blend the new hair in with your existing hair, it makes a world of difference!!
- Shampoo and condition the extensions every 5-10 wears depending on the amount of hair product usage and how quickly your natural oils are absorbed into the extensions. Before shampooing the extensions comb out all knots. Bunch all the extensions together and hold the top of the tracks (where the clips are for optimal control) While washing the extensions let the water run down the strands and constantly comb through with your fingers to avoid knots and tangles later. Rinse using cool water.
- Blot hair extensions, with a towel (don’t rub) and apply a light serum or detangler.
- Air-dry before combing!! Allowing your hair extensions to air-dry will save the hair from breakage. When hair is wet it stretches and will break much easier when combed
- Hang hair extensions from a drawer or similar object. This is my favorite tip, to help ease in styling extensions. It will give you both hands to work with which improves speed, versus trying to hold the extensions and style all at once.
- Easy on styling products. When curling or flat-ironing your extensions, you can use a working spray. Using heavy hold hairspray will make it extremely hard to comb through the extensions later, but if it’s a special occasion then by all means go for the gusto!
- Style ahead of time. It ‘s important to style clip-in hair extensions before putting them in your hair, as clipping them in first and then styling them will increase the probability of error. They can slip out as you pull and style your hair, loosening the initial grip of the clip-ins.
- Leave enough room. Make sure to leave out at least a half inch all the way around your hairline before clipping in extensions. Hair extensions are beautiful but you don’t want clips showing!
Take your time sectioning & clipping in your extensions and enjoy your new do!
UNITE 7Seconds spray in detangler is a dream. To start the product is 100% Vegan, paraben free, sodium chloride free, sulfate free, and the packaging is made from post consumer waste. It smells delightful and helps protect your hair from heat while detangling and conditioning. 7Seconds works on all hair types & lengths without leaving any type of residue or weight, as leave-in conditioners usually do. You can spray liberally roots to ends, (longer hair uses about 5-6 pumps & shorter hair 2-3) comb, and style as desired. It also works great on already dry hair that is tangled or in between washes to offer light conditioning. Before doing water activities you can use it to prevent excess chlorine or salt from being absorbed into the hair shaft. UNITE 7Seconds is just an all around great styling product for all hairtypes.
Time to fall into the next time of year. As the seasons people often feel obligated to make their hair darker. A great way to bend this rule is to deepen or intensify the tone of your hair. This means your color may look darker but it is actually just richer in color pigment. One option is to use a semi or demi permanent color gloss. A color gloss can completely change the look of your hair and does not have the commitment of permanent color. Since it is semi/demi it simply coats the outer layer of the hair & rinses out over time (usually 3-6 weeks). It is also good for your hair, as it coats the outer layer with color it acts as a protective layer against sun & heat damage. So if your feeling the need to switch up your do this autumn season take a que from nature try some copper browns, deep golden blonds, or crimson reds.
Every hairstylist is different, just like every client and expectation is BUT there are quite a few things that should be consistent. The first being timeliness, your time is just as important as your stylist. Constantly having to wait or be nudged in between other clients is not fair to you. Next, a thorough consultation, (even if its been 20 years since you changed your style) multipule factors influence the way your hair performs and what it is capable of achieving on a daily basis including diet, medication, stress levels, water type/usage and products. A shift in any of those things can cause a change in your hair and may even completely alter your hair thickness, strength and reactivity to chemicals making it extremely important for a consultation every time. The next two intertwine, satisfaction and healthy hair. You should ALWAYS like what you see when you leave and be healthier than when you arrived. As professionals our job is to meet your expectations to a reasonable degree, reasonable meaning always putting the health of your hair first. Hair will never look or feel good if it is over processed, brittle or dry. Allow yourself to set standards & expect complete professionalism every visit because not only do you deserve it but (from my perspective, honestly & truly) it is a pleasure to serve you!
UNITE Lazer Straight Relaxing Fluid is an amazing styling product that works on ALL hair types from long & wavy to short & extra kinky. The amount of product you use depends on hair length and texture (Remember it is a professional product meaning a small amount goes a long way) a good starting point is with a dime size amount.It has a great liquid consistency & is applied to damp hair before blowdrying. Start applying at your ends working upward toward your scalp.
For best results on wavy to extra kinky hair is to round brush to achieve flat-iron smooth hair. On straight to wavy hairtypes a paddle brush will give ideal results. It adds shine, softness, offers frizz control, smooths and smells delicious! Fantastic product all the way around and its versaltilty makes it great for everyone.
Summer is here and it is hot outside! One great benefit of the temperature heating up outside is most people cool down the temperature during showers. Cooler showers or rinsing hair in colder water helps add shine to hair. Exactly how we close our pores to improve our skins overall look our hair shaft shares the same principle. It has a cuticle that when rinsed with cooler water is able to close, like your pores do, and offer a more radiant appearance. So keep it cool when it comes to rinsing your hair to stay shiny all year long.
Ocean water, sun, and chlorine are all ready to give your hair it’s
summer beating! Here are a few ways to prepare your hair for all your
hot adventures to come. A deep conditioning treatment always helps
repair damage, adds moisture, and acts as a sealant for your hair. One
every 15 hair washes is a good time line for a treatment. Sun does
fade color and burn your scalp so make sure to protect on a daily
basis. A color defense spray prevents fading & protects scalp burn. If
your definitely getting in the water wet your hair prior to jumping
in! Hair is like a sponge, it can only absorb so much, so if you fill
it with good things all the bad can’t be absorbed. Applying a leave-in
conditioner or oil serum before water activities also helps protect
hair & makes the aftermath of washing and combing out a little easier.
Don’t let water, chlorine, or sun get your tresses down.
Unless your bringing swim caps back, use these tips to keep hair healthy & shiny